Matilda of Flanders
Died: 2 Nov 1083
Buried: l'Abbaye aux Dames Caen, Normandy
Reigned Normandy: 1053 - 2 Nov 1083
Reigned England: 25 Dec 1066 – 2 Nov 1083
Married William I & II King of England, Duke of Normandy: 1053[link]
She was the daughter of Baldwin V Count of Flanders and Adela of France, daughter of Robert II King of France.
She 9 children, the order of the daughters is unsure
1. Robert Curthose II, Duke of Normandy (1054 – 3 Feb 1134) married Sybilla of Conversano, 1 son
2. Richard (1054 – between 1069-1075) hunting accident in the New Forest
3. Cecilia (about 1055 – 30 July 1126) Abbess of Holy Trinity
4. Adeliza (c 1055 – before 1113)
5. William II, King of England (1056 – 2 Aug 1100)
6. Constance, Countess of Brittany (1057 – Aug 1090) married Alan IV Duke of Brittany
7. Adela, Countess of Blois (1062 – 8 Mar 1137) married Stephen II Count of Blois, 11 children, mother of Stephen I King of England
8. Matilda (1061 - 1086)
9. Henry I, King of England (1068 – 1 Dec 1135) married Matilda of Scotland, father of Empress Matilda of England
She was a 7th genereation granddaughter of Alfred the Great via his daughter Aelfthyth’s marriage to Baldwin II Count of Flanders.
She was said to be short either between 4 foot 2 inches to 5 feet. While her husband was 5 foot 10 inches. Either way she would have been a full to nearly full foot shorter than him either way.
She had at first rejected his request for marriage because he was illegitimate and declared she was to high born to marry him. After hearing the response William rode to Bruges, Flanders and stopped her on her way to church and dragged her off her horse via her brades and pushed her down. Although the problem/conflict was resolved as she did marry him. She and William married even though there was Papal ban on their marriage due to Consanguinty, although they appeased the Pope by building two Monasteries. The issue came from the fact that both were 5th genereation descendants of Rollo Duke of Normandy (matilda through Rollo's daughter Adele/Gerloc), and thus 4th cousins
Her marriage to William was apparently quite happy and they were very close and he never took a mistress or was unfaithful to her. Her death devestated William who apparently became Tyrannical after she died.
When her husband decided to invade England after the death of Edward the Confessor who had apparetnly promised him the throne she outfitted a ship with her own money and gave it to her husband. She was regent over Normandy much of the time while her husband was in England.
The 2nd Matilda on the Right was made using the new Game of Thrones Scene maker of Azalea's dress up doll game.
Link to William I, King of England: [link]
Link to William II: [link]
Link to Henry I: [link]
All credit goes to Doll-Divine and Azalea's Dress Up Doll Tudor Maker.[link]
Credit goes to Doll-Divine and Azalea's Dress Up Doll Game of Thrones Scene Makers.[link]